1996-05-03 - Re: Freedom and security

Header Data

From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4c4ff828c048451ea2552af6944ce5b3c32ded85c3b3c6317ace84e416efb8f2
Message ID: <m2afzqj4hm.fsf@deanna.miranova.com>
Reply To: <v01540b00adadadb5278f@[206.86.1.35]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-03 03:54:41 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:54:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:54:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Freedom and security

>>> I haven't bothered reading this particular thread up until now, but in my
>>> opinion, based on this drivel, you're getting dangerously close to being
>>> certified officially by the Cabal as an ignorant kook.

>>> Of course it does. However, to maintain community resposibility must also
>>> increase.
>>

>> Watch your attributation, Jim Ray did not write this.

Steven> You're right. I didn't think he did when I wrote my reply. And
Steven> I don't now.  It was a case of hasty editing without
Steven> rereading. Apologies to Jim Ray.

Steven> Should have been:

Steven> Colin Gabriel Hatcher - CyberAngels Director, net kook.

Gabriel, were you watching this closely?  This is a great working
example of all the policing the Internet needs.

You didn't mention the spread of misinformation[*] as one of the
NetCrimes you were looking out for, but it is a far worse ``offense''
than anything you pointed out earlier (mailbombing, forging etc. are
defeated by proper security and administrative procedures).

[*] Misinformation in the sense that it is patently wrong, with the
facts readily available to anyone with half a clue (this is not meant
as a slur towards Steven Weller, he apologized and corrected himself),
and not propaganda.  Much like the Good Times Virus warning.
Propaganda is free speech, which must be defeated by more free speech
if it is to be defeated.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

Thread