1996-05-07 - Is the network layer geodesic?

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 503f8f559675be745e9801dac672f14339955b381de5a7ffef2ce50dc1b0f772
Message ID: <v03006614adb4253fff18@[199.0.65.105]>
Reply To: <01I4A37X6Y0W8Y56P8@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-07 06:35:09 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 14:35:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 14:35:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Is the network layer geodesic?

At 2:24 PM  -0400 5/6/96, Scott Brickner wrote:
> The network layer isn't the geodesic Bob H likes to talk about.  That
> doesn't happen until the transport layer (one higher).  It's a
> heirarchical star, with a relatively small number of big ISPs acting as
> the hub, several groups of regional ISPs acting as local arms, and many
> local ISPs acting as the end-points.

Actually, I once lapsed and *did* say the "h" word about the network layer
around here about 6 months ago, and I got slapped severely around the head
and sholders, by Gilmore, if memory serves.

Knowing enough not to argue with my elders and betters, :-), I immediately
recanted and now assert geodecity(!) until proven otherwise.

If I remember right, Gilmore said something about a monstorous
preponderence of packet traffic still being handled by relatively beensy
direct lines...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"If they could 'just pass a few more laws',
  we would all be criminals."    --Vinnie Moscaritolo
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/

Thread