1996-05-20 - Re: Instant Remailers

Header Data

From: middle-man-admin@alpha.c2.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 566c1c264f4a7bbef65ba59a65a69e4104d2897c69ae2f7fdc4fa962d0223f04
Message ID: <199605191942.MAA28284@infinity.c2.org>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 08:50:03 +0800

Raw message

From: middle-man-admin@alpha.c2.org
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 08:50:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Instant Remailers

On Sun, 19 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> >It is possible for someone to operate an anonymous remailer anonymously.
> >Just get a UNIX shell account under a fake name, pay with cash, and set up
> >the remailing software.  The identity of the operator of such a remailer
> >would be difficult, if not impossible, to discover.
>
> I'm always surprised that this hasn't been happening; maybe it will when
> the new clients become available.

	I'm currently working on a version of Mixmaster that allows an
individual to run a remailer anonymously. The idea is to set up the
primary address of the remailer as a nym. That was easy. I've almost
finished the modifications to Mixmaster to allow it to call Raph Levien's
premail package. I've set it up to cause all outgoing mail to chain
through 2 more random remailers before the message is delivered to the
destination. This effectively allows me to operate as a "hidden
remailer-in-the-middle". I'll provide more details when I finish the code
and it's been thoroughly tested.

middle-man-admin

Thread