1996-05-16 - Re: Edited Edupage, 9 May 1996

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5baea987a64b9294a4c2b59e0ddfcad1f982564488b9e04671358ea526f9c84e
Message ID: <adbf59cf01021004ac30@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 10:12:31 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 10:12:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Edited Edupage, 9 May 1996

At 2:09 PM 5/15/96, Doug Hughes wrote:

>environment, lack of education, lack of money, lots of factors. Nobody
>is holding a gun to anybody's head saying "Don't Read". But improving
>literacy is a goal that needs to be undertaken. Do you not agree that
>low literacy is a bad thing and needs to be taken care of? If not, why
>not? Naturally, you can't force someone to read who doesn't want to.

No, I don't think "low literacy" in some subcultures is something that
"needs to be taken care of." If members of that subculture think it a bad
thing that their kids (not to mention themselves) are not readers and are
not sufficiently literate to thrive in a high-tech world, then they need to
take steps to change the basic values of their subculture.

As I mentioned, many subcultures--too numerous to name, actually--have a
strong belief in literacy, learning, and success, and are doing extremely
well in modern American society. Other subcultures do not, and are seeing
the fruits of their bad values realized. (One notable subculture currently
has 40% of its adult male population either in prison, on parole, under
indictment, or otherwise involved with the legal system in a debilitating
way. This same subculture now has close to an 85% illegitimacy rate.)

There is nothing "I" can do about such subcultures. Loads of tax dollars
have not helped. As Charles Murray points out in "Losing Ground," the loads
of tax dollars and special giveaways to some subcultures have very likely
made the situation much worse than it was 30-40 years ago when the programs
started.

>Some people on this list argue that the current representative govt
>system is bad, and that true democracy is better. You can't have true
>democracy without education. (You can, but it would be very bad).
>True democracy relies on people being educated, the more the better.
>(Actually, education benefits the entire society.)

"True democracy" is actually much worse than what we have now. The
advantage of what we are doing with strong cryptography is that it
undermines democracy.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!