1996-05-11 - Re: Mandatory Voluntary Self-Ratings

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 6ba828a04ef4fdcbc55af4c0879751092602bc81c703d05d4ae9f9d4a12f661d
Message ID: <199605110435.VAA29286@netcom20.netcom.com>
Reply To: <adb7fc9806021004e41c@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-11 10:36:39 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 18:36:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 18:36:39 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Mandatory Voluntary Self-Ratings

>For every proposed "ratings" system that involves value judgments about who
>should see something, I can think of examples where a quite opposite view
>is held.

true. hence you use a service whose opinions you agree with. there is
no canonical, ultimate, "true" ratings service. hence my dislike
of self-ratings that seem to presume the opposite is true. (i.e.
rate the page "what it actually is")

>I still think we are being led down a dangerous path in trying to architect
>ratings systems. As I said, we don't rate written words (at least I don't),
>we don't rate newspapers, etc.

all kinds of things are now rated in the world. stocks are rated.
movies are rated. books are rated. they are rated in various other
books, such as "top books on [x]".

>If a system gets built into the WWW, as with proposals for PICS, it _will_
>be used by those who want to control content. We should think twice before
>helping in any way.

I agree with your hesitation totally. I can easily see how the system
would be twisted in unspeakable ways. but I can see a lot of very
powerful positive uses too. as long as the best attempts are made to
discourage the former and encourage the latter...  again, there is a
question that the future might turn out to be more orwellian if no
action is taken by internet designers whatsoever. I tend to believe
that view.

>(No, I'm not _against_ private ratings services...but this has little to do
>with _me_, and I won't participate. More importantly, I won't have my
>content have any kind of tag attached!

notice that what you demand is wholly irrelevant. if you put something
out in the public, in a world of free speech, anyone is free to
rate your posting, or your opinions, etc.-- they just set a system
that refers to the message-id of your posts or something.

if what you are instead saying is that you will never insert your
own tags into your content, well that is something you have control
over. but you have absolutely no control over what people "attach"
to your posts in a "virtual" sense.  anyone could set up the
TCMay Rating Service and register ratings on everything you post in
public.

> Thus, the PICS thing looks intrusive
>to me, and not at all what I think of as a "private ratings service." I'll
>elaborate if my point is unclear.)

I would definitely be interested in an elaboration, although you don't
have to quote me if it makes you retch <g>. the only thing I
see intrusive about PICS is the self-rating scheme. the third-party
rating scheme seems pretty "unintrusive" and invisible in my view.

Thread