1996-05-30 - Re: Statistical analysis of anonymous databases

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Message Hash: 703714afbb63ecbac928922fb7fb455331098c72073dce9491d214fdd5ce9776
Message ID: <199605301602.LAA13227@homeport.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960529160838.5354J-100000@larry.infi.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-30 22:37:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 06:37:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 06:37:38 +0800
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Subject: Re: Statistical analysis of anonymous databases

The evidence about the dangers of smoking is largely based on huge
data sets where large amounts of information was gathered and sifted
through to eliminate other correlations, until only cigarettes were
left.

Adam

Alan Horowitz wrote:

| I would ask, is there any known medical gain that has resulted from
| such a data-base correllation.
|
| I do not accept a researcher's own statements as to the utility of the work
| (S)he's done with someone's funding.  Seen too much of it at close
| quarters...   Nor do I accept reeports in the lay press - these are
| nothing more than re-gurgitated press releases from PR depts of institutions.

					               -Hume

Thread