1996-05-25 - Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Message Hash: 77bd96c0caa223331ead425562d90aec9d4151c0ffbdd76834c20afdb1b1ee4a
Message ID: <01I53FTZQTS08Y4Z90@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 12:04:02 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 12:04:02 +0800
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Subject: Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

From:	IN%"declan+@CMU.EDU"  "Declan B. McCullagh" 23-MAY-1996 09:57:37.53

>More to the point, the left and the right come together on privacy issues.

>Remember the Christian Coalition's take on national ID cards? "Mark of
>the Beast!" (Does anyone have an original cite for this? I also recall
>the CC opposing Clipper...)

	Yes, even the CC types can get some things right. Take a look at the
opposition to the Anti-Terrorism bill, for instance. Quite a few militia
organizations are Christian fundamentalist in orientation (unfortunately); they
were in alliance with the ACLU in opposing it.
	However, the objection to banning address lists of interference with
private business still stands, so long as the addresses are not gotten from
governmental or quasi-governmental (e.g., allowed/regulated monopoly/ogliopoly)
sources.
	-Allen

Thread