1996-05-20 - Re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 79e3d56c9a6fb9c8e7134417fc7e59f04653e7a211b873507c852780dacb4ef8
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960519223102.1793C-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960519152746.00392f04@mail.pi.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-20 08:46:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 16:46:00 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 16:46:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

On Sun, 19 May 1996, Matts Kallioniemi wrote:

> IP spoofing would do this nicely.Since SMTP doesn't require any
> significant responses, you can send blind and fake your IP address.
> To do that you need root access on your mailer machine and an
> ISP that doesn't sniff and filter its network for spoofing attacks.

	It is my understanding that IP spoofing will become much more
difficult, if not impossible when IP6/whatever gets put into place. It
seems to me that IP spoofing is not a long term option.

	Deep Thought Question for the Constitutional Scholars:

	What chance would a remailer operator have in the court system
today positing the following set of circumstances:

	1. Case is concerns retrans of either copyrighted/trade secret
material (i.e. CO$ shit) or basically anything _but_ child porn or a
murder contract.

	2. Remailer operator did not violate any laws.

	3. Remailer operator has big enough legal guns (ala EFF & ACLU
etc.) to back him.

	I realize that this would be a civil case rather than a criminal
one, maybe it would have to be child porn or something illegal to get that
far, but if I were to set up a remailer under my real name, and the CO$
came after me, given that I had the financial backup to carry the case to
trial, what are my chances?
	Would it be worth it to do a Scopes Monkey Trial like case on
this, get someone willing to take the chance, and establish that it _is_
legal to run a remailer? I might be willing to be the test case for this,
but I would need to know the ramifications, and I would need to get my
wifes approval for this, and I don't want to expose Suba to any liability
in this. (So relax Alex).

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@crash.suba.com