1996-05-14 - Copyright law - potential limits on encryption?

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7d32305db9da3ffe5607fda586f4da83671c17805365588882b86b1ccf1375e0
Message ID: <01I4OJOW9SEE8Y5BUB@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 22:00:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 22:00:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Copyright law - potential limits on encryption?

	I thought the following from CPSR had some relevance, insofar as part
of what the proposed law is trying to outlaw are "devices needed for making
use of encrypted information." The accusations of corporate benefit are
irrelevant, of course.
	-Allen

From: akrause@Sunnyside.COM (Audrie Krause)
Subject: Action Alert: Copyright

Cyber-rights moderator Andy Oram and online activist Jim Warren have
forwarded alerts regarding pending Congressional action on copyright
legislation.

At this late date, the best course of action is a phone call or fax.  You
can reach all members of Congress through the capitol switchboard: (202)
224-3121.  Email messages to Congress are *not* particularly effective.
Detailed information follows from both Jim and Andy.

Audrie

----------------------------
>From Jim Warren:

Check out the examples, below, of how your net access to *any* information
will soon be repressed, prohibited and/or criminalized for corporate
benefit.

THIS REALLY IS AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS.

Although this happens to come from the Americal Library Association and is
thus focused on library concerns with the Beltway ripoff-artists' pervasive
copy-suppression legislation that is being rammed through Congress,
*everyone* online and on computers needs to be aware of this impending
repression.

I donno who Clinton's Copyright Office and Gingrich-Dole's Congress are
representing, but they sure as hell aren't representing the *public's*
interests.

Howl now to your(?) "representatives" ... or bend over for the corporate
hustlers, henceforth.

--jim, a disloyal subject of the Washington Royalty
Jim Warren, GovAccess list-owner/editor, advocate & columnist (jwarren@well.com)
345 Swett Rd., Woodside CA 94062; voice/415-851-7075; fax/<# upon request>

------------------------

>From Andy Oram:

(Introduction from moderator: the message below does not explain how
all the awful consequences it predicts could stem from some extensions
to copyright law.  I think the worrisome section of the bill is the
one prohibiting "any device, product, or component incorporated into a
device" that can circumvent copyright.  Despite language about its
"primary purpose," such language could be used against legitimate
computer and communications equipment.--Andy)

Sender: John Whiting <100707.731@CompuServe.COM>