1996-05-03 - Re: CryptoAnarchy: What’s wrong with this picture?

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: Michael Loomis <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8babccf8a66c3c5e0e876896cf5f2efc146113da98170435f73928fb5e76a40c
Message ID: <199605031505.IAA15514@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 07:57:31 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 07:57:31 +0800
To: Michael Loomis <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CryptoAnarchy: What's wrong with this picture?

At 07:05 AM 5/3/96 -0400, Michael Loomis wrote:
>No tax system will ever been perfect, but  income taxation is a good
>system of taxation.  Income taxation inevitably requires some accounting
>costs, but these costs should be going down with advances in computing
>technology and other technology.

The income tax necessarily violates privacy in ways that were
thought outrageous a few when it was first introduced.  There
were numerous cartoons on the subject, but people accepted it
because only the rights of a tiny handful of very rich people
were going to to be violated.  (I hear the same argument all
the time on the privacy list, where lots of people want the
government to have root access to the computers of the evil
capitalist overlords in order that the government can protect
their privacy.)

As our capacity to protect our privacy and still engage in
complex extended transactions improves, I expect that once
again the income tax will come to be seen as an intolerable
and utterly unacceptable violation of peoples rights and
future generations will be amazed at our ignorant barbarity.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread