1996-05-20 - Re: Remailers & what they get out of it…

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: ravage@ssz.com
Message Hash: 8c99769a7a89a695645af2feebb768c7796d5716acae73107b12deb81acb2e24
Message ID: <01I4WUPVKJ9E8Y5FKU@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 19:49:44 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 19:49:44 +0800
To: ravage@ssz.com
Subject: Re: Remailers & what they get out of it...

From:	IN%"ravage@ssz.com"  "Jim Choate" 18-MAY-1996 09:43:06.96

>As long as the remailer is run a 'grins & giggles' affair you are right.

	There is the increase in reputation capital in _some_ quarters possible
through running a remailer. (On the other hand, in authoritarian quarters, it
would tend to decrease one's reputation capital...)

>To me the biggest problem with the crypto work right now is that not enough
>professionals are involved. If more remailers and such were initiated as
>a business there would be legal avenues to explore. Also, in this vain is
>the apparent lack of support for commercial ventures by developers of such
>apps as MixMaster (whose license explicity prohibits commercial use).

	It prohibits commercial use? That's silly. Is it a
holdover from when the idea was to turn Mixmaster into a company?

>And for the record, yes, we expect to charge real $$$ for access. Our
>current plan is $10/month for each account. Money orders prefered. We have
>at this point pondered e-cash methods but it doesn't seem popular enough
>at this juncture.

	How would you be doing this? Only remailing from accounts that have
paid up, or what?
	-Allen

Thread