1996-05-22 - Re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 923713b1f3328733ee20baee267bc0f5e876a37341894c701867bf2d00937770
Message ID: <01I4ZJRNMRX68Y5IL9@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:13:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:13:46 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

From:	IN%"tcmay@got.net" 20-MAY-1996 06:17:52.64

>But any country that is "anti-Scientology" is likely to be repressive in
>various ways we would find inimical to our goals. Germany is a prime
>example: yes, they have placed restrictions on the CoS, but they have also
>ordered crackdowns on Internet sites.

>Whatever one may think of Scientology, or Catholicism, or Baalism, or
>whatever, crackdowns by the government ("anti-Scientology,"
>"anti-Catholic," etc.) is not a good thing.

	I do not disagree with that countries shouldn't place any more
restrictions on Scientology than they do on any other profit-making business.
It's simply that a remailer operator would be more likely to win in court in
such a country; if Scientology isn't _allowed_ in a country, this isn't good
but they at least can't exactly do any nuisance suits. To a lesser degree,
they might be suable back very easily if the judge & jury were sympathetic. I
got the basic idea from the regulatory arbitrage section in your Cyphernomicon,
as it happens.
	-Allen

Thread