1996-05-01 - Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: “Scruffies” vs. “Neats”)

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: 927b75dbefdfac9c4eaa08e26f5b24887899429b783dad689ac9cc0c24c7e850
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960501004152.394B-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <199605010033.UAA15101@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-01 10:19:50 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 18:19:50 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 18:19:50 +0800
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> The Web is the universal marketplace these days. Being unable to use
> the web is the equivalent of being unable to use the phone. I have

	I'm sorry, I don't buy this. Last time I saw any stats, less than
5% of AMERICANS have access to the internet in any form. Even if it has
doubled in the last 3 months, that is still only 10%, Now yes, someday
what you say may be true, but most people have never seen the web, execpt
_maybe_ on TV. My father runs a relatively sucessful business, which he
started last year, and he has almost never used a computer more
sophisticated than a calculator (I gave him a zenith supersport (8088)
laptop that he has turned on ONCE)--he dosen't even believe in Cash
Stations). To claim that that being unable to use the web is the
equivalent of being unable to use the phone is silly, and to an extent
myopic.

> research analysts at large trading houses begging for
> Netscape. Unfortunately, these people have a need for top notch
> security, because vast amounts of money are at stake.

	There is a simple, but expensive way around this.

	The rest cut because I am not qualified to comment

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@crash.suba.com

Thread