1996-05-26 - Re: Why does the state still stand:

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
Message Hash: 938f8820ebb2ad4b4a9079b10b2497a32a49ae4bd9fc722d07ef29b095d9b276
Message ID: <01I54WMDV8268Y4ZK2@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:49:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:49:21 +0800
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
Subject: Re:  Why does the state still stand:

From:	IN%"hfinney@shell.portal.com"  "Hal" 16-MAY-1996 10:21:05.33

>One issue is whether these banking-secrecy countries like Anguilla are
>followers of the Berne convention or other international copyright
>regulations.  Banking secrecy and software piracy don't necessarily go
>hand in hand.  I hear a lot about copyright violations in China but not
>in the Caribbean.  So actually it isn't clear that this country is the
>right location for a remailer that can post arbitrary material.

	As I have stated, I am currently working on the second edition of this
list. One consideration that I have thought of on using a banking-secrecy
country is that it may be possible to set up a local limited-liability
corporation there (assuming a remailer requiring an ecash payment), possibly
paying into a trust fund with duress provisions. As an example, I might set
up an offshore company in Anguilla which was owned by a trust fund; I would
be the initial trustee for this trust fund, and Vince Cate might be the
backup trustee if I was put under any duress (e.g., legal problems). Since I
would have some costs for the initial setup of such an operation, I would deem
it perfectly reasonable for the trust fund to owe me some money, which it would
then pay me back as interest on this loan.
	-Allen

Thread