1996-05-22 - Re: Remailers, Copyright, and Scientology

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9a615c958bff0c8749eb66efaef1191678021f3e1705e2d0a95f25d58e3dcf47
Message ID: <adc7d04a270210044cac@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 14:37:44 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 14:37:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Remailers, Copyright, and Scientology

At 12:36 AM 5/22/96, Allen Ethridge wrote:

>I've been following alt.religion.scientology mostly for entertainment
>reasons, and occasionally to correct some of the false statements about
>psychiatry made by Scientologists.  There's more to the story than you
>appear to be aware of.  The extra-legal actions didn't originate with
>the alleged copyright violations, nor are the legal actions of the cult
>limited to protecting their copyrights.  Now that the cypherpunks have
>been brought to their attention it's entirely possible that the major
>posters on this newsgroup will become the subject of Scientology's, or
>rather Religious Technology Center's legal actions.

Ironically, CoS was trying to determine my name, from Keith.

If I'm subpoenaed, I think I'll tell them to fuck off. I'm not a party to
the CoS business in any way, save for whatever influence I may have had
when the first remailers were implemented several years ago   (by others,
not me) and whatever ideas I may have discussed here on this list.

>Yes, the cult does have a legitimate interest in protecting their
>copyrights.  No, the cult does not have a valid reason for using the
>heavy-handed legal tactics of which they are so fond.

I'm not a defender of CoS, let's make this clear. I knew they were flakes
since I first heard of them back around 1967, before most of you were even
born.

But there is an ongoing, vitriolic battle between the CoS and its critics,
and the remailers are one of the main "weapons" being used.

I take no sides whatsoever, merely noting that it is, in Bill Stewart's
words, "unsurprising" that CoS lawyers are taking the steps they are
taking.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!