1996-05-28 - Re: CyberCash just did it!

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: pclow@pc.jaring.my
Message Hash: 9c23d987404fc3a294c15f3e3d686a73eef31af5a4cdd80042f73aa46643c43b
Message ID: <01I57IPALWC08Y503M@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:10:50 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:10:50 +0800
To: pclow@pc.jaring.my
Subject: Re: CyberCash just did it!

From:	IN%"pclow@pc.jaring.my"  "peng-chiew low" 27-MAY-1996 13:41:16.44

>Out of curiousity I visited their site and I read the part of the security
>section which I've pasted below. Is it true? After all that I've read about
>the export issue and here Cybercash tells me they have got permission to
>export strong crypto? Please note that I am not someone who is familiar with
>the strength of crypto algo and any response to this post would be most
>helpful to a newbie in this business. Thanks.

	While I am also uncertain as to how strong the crypto they're using is,
I would guess that this passes under the banking exemption... I would
suspect that there is some lack of full anonymnity in the method, because
otherwise the US government wouldn't have given export permission even with
that exemption.
	-Allen

Thread