1996-05-29 - Re: Tempest Info

Header Data

From: Lyal Collins <lyalc@ozemail.com.au>
To: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
Message Hash: 9e2fc3b1ddf56db549de39e13994661c5c2e15b5e1f6b00d47a6f3c37b8a365d
Message ID: <31AD02EB.5BF5@ozemail.com.au>
Reply To: <199605282356.JAA29834@suburbia.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-29 11:54:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:54:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Lyal Collins <lyalc@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:54:22 +0800
To: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
Subject: Re: Tempest Info

Julian Assange wrote:

> > Bill Stewart writes:
> > >  Also, of course, your electrical power system needs to be
> > >  shielded and filtered, so only 60Hz gets through, unless you
> > >  plan to stick to laptops and bring in spare battery packs.
> >
> > At HoHoCon a few years ago, someone did a tempest demo and mentioned that
> > signals could be recovered from water pipes!  Fire sprinkler systems were
> > specifically mentioned...
>
> Water pipes are often form the earth line. If only 60hz (US) can get through
> the power cables then only 60 hz can get into the water pipes (I'll ignore
> re-radiating, because water pipes are the least of your problems there).

As the water pipe can form a signal "drain", monitoring that with respoect to an
artificial refernce "earth" allowsthe signal(s) to be reccovered, unless the waterpipe is of very low
impedance.
lyal

--
All mistakes in this message belong to me - you should not use them!

Thread