1996-05-23 - Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Message Hash: a0e02b4b41ce7c4c6fd93825c65e07396bc4c6937badfce345d3cdab0bd039e8
Message ID: <199605230918.FAA22809@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 21:11:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 21:11:46 +0800
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

On 22 May 96 at 11:16, Rich Graves wrote:

> I'd have to see the bill, but I think it's a good general idea, provided
> there's the caveats KNOWINGLY and WITHOUT THEIR [parent/guardian's]
> KNOWLEDGE. As much as I hate direct marketers, I don't want them subject
> to malicious and arbitrary prosecution because one address out of
> thousands happens to belong to a kid.

When I was on the FTC privacy list a while back there were more
details about that.  Companies would set of very commercial web sites
oriented towards kids, for the main purpose of getting the kids to
give information about themselves.

So imagine if somebody set up a Barney fan page with all sorts of
links and goodies but with the encouragement (if not requirement for
access) to fill out personal information, even personal info about
family members.

Ok... maybe that's within one's right.  But while (most) adults would
be suspicious, it's not necessarily so with some children...  (who'd
give out parent's CC#'s if they knew them).

Teaching kids basic privacy issues is a whole lot better than
legislation. (Caveat emptor aside, fraud and cons are still
illegal...).  I haven't seen the legislation so I won't rant for or
against it (at least not on the list) for now.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread