1996-05-24 - RE: Truth can sometimes be harmful…(talk.cpunks.truth)

Header Data

From: blanc <blancw@accessone.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: a6d9b8874af4c369faf43081292df9dedd90abbbe2c2d2835172c8084e6af648
Message ID: <01BB491B.4E7D4DC0@blancw.accessone.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 21:31:01 +0800

Raw message

From: blanc <blancw@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 21:31:01 +0800
To: "'cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Truth can sometimes be harmful...(talk.cpunks.truth)

There are small truths and "big" truths - or the smaller parts of a whole, or the smaller ingredients of a complete context.

In the larger context of complete truth, although the small truth of the location where Anne Frank was hiding was harmful to her safety, it was harmful only because those who had created the war surrounding her were not prepared (did not want) to see the larger truths of reality.

In the context of such an attitude inimical to complete truth, any truth can become a threat to safety.

Analogous to the use of any weapon or tool of destruction it is not accurate to hold the truth at fault, but rather the one who interprets it and decides on what action to take based upon it.

This reminds me of those arguments on the list where that old objection against encrypting personal messages was brought up:  "what have you got to hide?", implying: do you fear the truth, do you mean to live outside the context of honesty and truth?  And the cypherpunks would counter, no - we just want to be particular about who receives it.

     ..
Blanc

Thread