1996-05-09 - Re: Remailer in a box

Header Data

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: b29af96e9af596f4030c600ee3ae9e53ff32b1085778ef07430358bd35ef5236
Message ID: <adb729b707021004bc66@[206.170.115.3]>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 21:13:41 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 21:13:41 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: Remailer in a box

At 6:55 PM 5/8/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>        Questions. How much memory does the Mixmaster remailer take up?

My remailer (with source code and spooled messages) is 1.4M.

>What
>accesses/permissions/etcetera on a machine do I need to have in order to have
>it running on an account?

It will run out of any account. A procmail script could be used to direct
the mail to Mixmaster (or the front end scripts). If you use the account
for other things, you can have the procmail script only forward the
Mixmaster messages.

>Has anyone set up one such that it will only remail
>from & to a set of addresses (e.g., other remailers)? I, for instance, wouldn't
>be willing to deal with the hassles involved with running a remailer that was
>either what the end user would see (thus getting potentially deluged with help
>questions) or the end mailer (thus getting potentially in problems if someone
>abuses the remailer)... but I (and others) might if it was set up just for
>chaining. (Yes, I know I'd need a UNIX account... I'm looking into that.)

This could be done with a trivial modification to the source and
destination blocking lists (just change the sense of the checking).
Cyberpass (www.cyberpass.net) offers UNIX accounts without dialin access
for $7 per month. These are available anonymously, and can be paid for with
ecash.

>        Speaking of UNIX, does anyone have any existing programs to
>automatically mail out at random intervals a looping or /dev/null directed
>message through the remailers, in order to increase security against traffic
>analysis?
>        Thanks,
>        -Allen

Yes, but I only give it to remailer operators. The "bramble" might get
flooded otherwise. Operators see the repercussions of their actions.

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche