1996-05-26 - Re: Mixmaster version usable with POP?

Header Data

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <remailer-operators@c2.org
Message Hash: b365509db9979d29e804a822469b4b69eb60afb7a9274da5f491ac418bc9a11a
Message ID: <adcd6b4709021004cd63@[206.170.115.3]>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:27:51 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:27:51 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <remailer-operators@c2.org
Subject: Re: Mixmaster version usable with POP?

At 5:22 PM 5/25/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>        One application of an anonymous remailer that has come up is using POP
>to get into an account via which remailing could be done without the remailer
>having to run on the machine receiving/sending the mail. It would instead occur
>on a machine running the remailer software and equipped for doing POP. Has
>anyone written a mixmaster version (or additions onto Mixmaster) that will do
>this automatically?
>        While having the entire remailer with logs and private key in a
>different country would still be best, if an anonymous POP account were used
>this would still shield the remailer operator from forced disclosure. It would
>also cut down on the costs; for instance, offshore.com.ai's monthly price for
>a UNIX shell account is 50$ a month, but theirs for an email-only account is
>20$ a month (albeit with only 20 M/month of mail).
>        Thanks,
>        -Allen

While there is not an "out of the box" version of Mixmaster like this, it
would be easy to do. The UNIX POP clients I have seen just dump the mail
into a mbox formated file. A simple script could be written to yank out the
messages one at a time, and feed them to Mixmaster (or mail-in or
whatever). In fact, the more recent versions of Mixmaster should be able to
swallow the file whole, pulling out the mixmaster messages itself. This
modification was made to support "subway" remailers, which want to send a
fixed number of messages (in one email) each time period.

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche