1996-05-26 - Re: why is no one (apparently) worried about escrowed key length limits?

Header Data

From: Moltar Ramone <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: Ernest Hua <hua@XENON.chromatic.com>
Message Hash: b9df96abae6f3f61117cd2d5aa9853a8d2c544a7e265cd0e8dd0653aa6f9d162
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960525103410.25510A-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <199605241756.KAA07067@ohio.chromatic.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-26 19:56:40 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 03:56:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Moltar Ramone <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 03:56:40 +0800
To: Ernest Hua <hua@XENON.chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: why is no one (apparently) worried about escrowed key length limits?

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Ernest Hua wrote:

> Obviously, the implication is that brute force (or "near brute force")
> methods WILL be used against encrypted transactions.  So in the best
> case, there is some lower strata of law enforcement who are only
> allowed to use the escrowed path to intercept, but there is also some
> upper strata of law enforcement (presumably some anti-terrorist or
> national security section of ATF or FBI or CIA or Secret Service) who
> will be allowed to use such super-duper cracking methods to achieve
> their goals (assuming their goals are good).

This is hardly questionable as the reason for restricted key lengths; if
this wasn't the fact of the matter, they wouldn't make it difficult to
superencrypt with the same system over and over again, which they do.
And "best" case for who?  Not I, surely. Simply putting a "national
security" clause in this makes the CIA or SS or FBI or ATF or whatever
above the law, regardless of the reasons.  I certainly don't want these
organizations above the law.  I remember (well, not really.  But I've
read about) J Edgar Hoover, and I don't want a repeat.

> But, if the best case happens, then we're all Ozzie and Harriet (or
> Archie and Edith), and we should be in a love fest with the
> government.  Obviously we don't competely and blindly trust our
> government.

Archie didn't completely and blindly trust the government. Ozzie and
Harriet, yes. Edith, probably.  Archie, no.  (ObGunPunks: remember the
episode where Archie got to do the TV editorial about gun control? :-))

Jon
Jon Lasser (410)532-7138                         - Obscenity  is a crutch  for
jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu                            inarticulate motherfuckers.
http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
Finger for PGP key (1024/EC001E4D)               - Fuck the CDA.

Thread