1996-05-14 - Re: Civil liberties of employees (Re: FYB_oss)

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: cd2d04c732a0579f2083ac58ede143af9a3ad01e54d1106817e76f0c79b52b52
Message ID: <01I4OG5LPHSK8Y5BUB@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:30:35 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:30:35 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: Civil liberties of employees (Re: FYB_oss)

From:	IN%"tcmay@got.net" 13-MAY-1996 17:56:08.53

	What others have said in regards to implicit contracts is about what I
would have, with the addition that the inclusion of some third party should
occur to handle the cases when the contract (explicit or implicit) doesn't
cover something. Such a third party would preferably be an arbitration agency
chosen by the other parties to the contract, but can be a government if they
didn't chose one or the agency isn't available for some reason.

>(But contracts are of course possible. Enforcement of the terms is another
>matter. By the way, I think enforcement of such contracts should be handled
>outside the normal legal system, and paid for by the parties using the
>system.)

	One organization that I would like to see develop is one specializing
in the enforcement of extralegal/illegal contracts. Payments to a legal form of
such an organization should be tax-deductible, just as payments to private
security guards should be tax-deductible; you're doing the government's work
for it, so you shouldn't have to pay the government for it.
	Cryptography can be used to reduce the necessity for such in many
cases, or at least reduce the work involved - which should reduce the fees that
such an organization should need to pay. One aspect of this is digital
receipts; I need to take a look at Applied Cryptography to check out the
discussion there on them. Anyplace else I should look?
	-Allen

Thread