1996-05-12 - Re: Publicity on PICS

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: reagle@mit.edu
Message Hash: cd3f389b49e4951d7f554dad0459aa8725a9ea283a1d5876c69317b9181c4c55
Message ID: <01I4L80J7EDS8Y5CGN@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 12:34:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 12:34:22 +0800
To: reagle@mit.edu
Subject: Re: Publicity on PICS

From:	IN%"reagle@mit.edu"  "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." 10-MAY-1996 02:18:58.44
>From:	IN%"EALLENSMITH@mbcl.rutgers.edu"  "E. ALLEN SMITH"

>        It is _very_ confusing to follow though.

>>CompuServe, Microsoft, Prodigy and Netscape Communications will soon give
>>their customers software enabling them to block access to material they
>>judge objectionable on the Internet's Worldwide Web.

>        Consider that Compuserve had a deal with SurfWatch, which was
>incorporated in it "Internet" in a box, with a lot of Spry goodies. Now
>Surfwatch has been purchased by Spyglass (a competitor or Spry). Also,
>Compuserve offers RSACi services through CyberPatrols RSACi compliance (got
>some weird derivitive and cross-liscencing works going on here!) and urges
>its users and 3rd party people to use RSACi...

	I don't suppose that someone at Netscape can give us more information
on this than is currently out there? All we've seen so far are the press
reports, which are often inaccurate.
	-Allen

Thread