1996-05-07 - Re: misunderstandings of PICS

Header Data

From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: e6dfeec2b82f90f1b961a659dc54ccbb19b6936ff88056ed665d15d7f5894dcd
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960506173538.20925B-100000@cedb>
Reply To: <199605061948.MAA15630@netcom3.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-07 08:07:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 16:07:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 16:07:50 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: misunderstandings of PICS

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> but you still don't understand what I stated. the above does not make
> any sense relative to the PICS system. it would be like saying, "we
> are going to report anyone who doesn't have a SMTP that bans dirty
> email". SMTP does not ban dirty email by definition. PICS does not
> censor material by definition. please read the PICS proposal (sorry the
> URL is not handy, could someone post it?)

The executive summary is at:

  <http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/principles.html>

A more complete overview is available at:

  <http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/iacwc.htm>

The first, unfortunately, mentions self-rating prominently.  The second
mentions self-rating almost as an aside.  Looks like they needed a bullet
point for the short version.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow