1996-05-02 - If the Net were an industrial city… (nee: Freedom and security)

Header Data

From: bryce@digicash.com
To: stevenw@best.com (Steven Weller)
Message Hash: ed8da5c7b5cbfec07b37c4675ecb00bed07773feaf34ce07177b16c816eb1780
Message ID: <199605011811.UAA21763@digicash.com>
Reply To: <v01540b00adad237d5dd2@[206.86.1.35]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-02 03:07:34 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 11:07:34 +0800

Raw message

From: bryce@digicash.com
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 11:07:34 +0800
To: stevenw@best.com (Steven Weller)
Subject: If the Net were an industrial city... (nee: Freedom and security)

 The entity calling itself Steven Weller <stevenw@best.com>
 is alleged to have written:

> >Jim Ray wrote

No he didn't.  It was CyberAngler (motto: "Trolling For
Libertarian Cypherpunks Since Mid-April") that wrote that.
Attributions are important-- try not to mess them up again.

(> > == CyberAngler)
(> == Steven Weller)

> >The Internet is beyond the stage of small communities exercising informal
> >social controls (peer pressure).
>
> How so?

We aren't convincing him to shut up just by telling him that
we've heard his statist spiel before, are we?  His point
exactly!  He is trying to tell us that peer pressure isn't
working to shut obnoxious people like him up, so stronger
measures are needed.

> >It's now a major industrial city and will
>
> It's industry being?

It's a service industry.  An information service industry.
Journalists, phone-sex whores, business consultants,
bankers, brokers and barkers are moving into town, setting
up their virtual shops, and catering to the hordes of
readers, sightseers, sex-seekers, game-players, businessmen,
professionals and amateurs of all stripes that are pouring
into town in wave after wave.

Granted most of these virtual shops consist of a single
ticket-taker's booth and a 10-meter tall neon facade.
Granted that the shops occasionally collapse on visitors,
that there are no streets, that you can't tell the sellers
from the buyers and that few people are able to accept
cash.

Still, it's a service industry.

more later,

Bryce