1996-05-18 - Re: Rural Datafication (Was Re: Edited Edupage, 9 May 1996)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f57f686d5230db8fc26597d704d13d86c5d52824f68bc3f6bb8e3a389109fe94
Message ID: <adbfced90202100490cc@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 13:03:27 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 13:03:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rural Datafication (Was Re: Edited Edupage, 9 May 1996)

At 9:10 PM 5/15/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

>        I've gone even farther than that - I don't bother with having a TV, I
>just get my info from the net. There is the problem with the satellite net
>links that it tends to concentrate data production & distribution into
>relatively few hands, from which it can easier be taken by government and other

Just to make it clear, the _least_ of _my_ reasons for having a satellite
dish and televisions in general is to "get info." (Though even when I do
want to "get info," I tend to turn to CNN, CNBC, PBS, etc., and not to use
the generally short summaries that are carried on the Net, sans video of
course.)

I won't argue for television pro or con...I'm sure most folks here have met
people who are religiously anti-television and who radiate superiority in
pointing out that the last time they saw a television program was when
"Nicholas Nickleby" was broadcast. Whatever.

But having both a video/satellite system and, obviously, a Net/Web system,
they are very different things.

To each their own.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!