1996-06-01 - Re: Ok, what about PGP (was: MD5 collisions)

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 0461c9c2b8eb3cf906f4632795eea787c6c919ce7d256ae7b546c4e66ed7878e
Message ID: <199606010433.VAA21006@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 15:56:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 15:56:34 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Ok, what about PGP (was: MD5 collisions)

On 29 May 1996 19:03:04 pdt, wlkngowl@unix.asb.com wrote:

>I poked around the pgp.h and pgformat.txt files in the PGP 2.6.2
>distribution.  There *are* designator bytes for the hash (and cipher)
>algorithms, hash size, etc.
>
>It seems quite doable to add support for SHA-1 signatures (and possibly key
>generation for encrypting secret keys?).
>
>Adding 3DES (and maybe Luby-Rackoff-SHA, assuming it hasn't been cracked
>recently at the Fast Software Conf.... more info?!?) would be nifty too...
>unless, of course, there's meaning to the Real Soon Now that PGP3 folx
>claim.

How about a NSA-stomper option that would use all-of-the-above? For the truly paranoid (or
owners of Pentium-Pro 200Mhz multi-processor machines

Also, what's the verdict on IDEA? Is there a switch yet that would allow straight RSA?
(with the obvious speed decrease...)

>I'd work on the hack now (and just might...) but I'm stuck stranded in the
>United States. :(
I've always wondered what it says about a country that is afraid to let its citizens work
on privacy...
/* From Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> on a Warped PC running a proudly unregistered (for now) PMMAIL 1.5!
The Enigman Group - We do Web Pages! */

This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.

Thread