1996-06-07 - Fwd: Re: [crypto] crypto-protocols for trading card gam

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 096fd417ca3efac2b47a45cb06e05855b6eb7a8712176c247eb0ce14c2c8a21e
Message ID: <199606070508.WAA20921@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:14:23 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:14:23 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [crypto] crypto-protocols for trading card gam

>From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
>To: "ogren@concentric.net" <ogren@concentric.net>
>Date: Thu, 30 May 96 02:30:30
>Subject: Re: [crypto] crypto-protocols for trading card gam
>

>Disadvantages:
>
>The entire integrity of the system relies on the security of the
>game company's key pair.  If the secret key is comprimised, either by
>Cards are not transferrable.  In order to make cards transferrable the
>game company must be able to invalidate cards which have been traded
>to others.  In other words if Alice wants to give a cards to Bob she
>must:
I would just have multiple validators w/separate keys. sign w/each. This
would not
eliminate the problem but could reduce it...

>1. Contact the game company and tell them she wants to give the card
>to Bob. 2. The game company must issue a new card to Bob with a new
>serial number and with Bob's public key rather than Alice's. 3. The
>game company must invalidate Alice's old card.  Since there is no way
>that the game company can make sure all copies of the card have been
>destroyed it must create a "invalid serial number list" and have the
>players dial into that list everytime the game is played.
>
>Since step 3 is so costly to implement, I think it is unlikely that a
>cryptography-based trading card game will have tradable cards.

Much easier - with each card, store its ownership history. EACH time it
is transfered, have
it be signed by the previous owner.  Originally, the game company signs
it as a valid card.
On selling it, they record the purchaser's identity (email address,
etc)and seal the card
with the company key (or set of keys - see above). Repeat as needed.

This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.

/* From Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> on a Warped PC running a proudly unregistered (for now) PMMAIL 1.5!
The Enigman Group - We do Web Pages! */

This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.

Thread