1996-06-29 - Re: MS-Mail Security

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: wywong2@cs.cuhk.hk (Leo WONG Wing-yan)
Message Hash: 205d34f887401cf32192377c9217f172c5b53e86da92b23808bd5b9c0e11d122
Message ID: <199606291744.MAA24676@homeport.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960627231233.11957A-100000@sol25.cs.cuhk.hk>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-29 19:02:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 03:02:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 03:02:54 +0800
To: wywong2@cs.cuhk.hk (Leo WONG Wing-yan)
Subject: Re: MS-Mail Security

Leo WONG Wing-yan wrote:

|     I would like to gather informations of whether the MS-Mail server is
| secure or not, is anyone heard of somebody, say, disguise as other user
| or read other user e-mail?

	Its good idea to think of mail security as an end to end
thing; you encrypt the mail for your recipient(s).  They decrypt it.
There are (decent) proposals afoot to encrypt mail server to server,
which is fine, it doesn't sacrifice security, and makes accidental
mail reading less likely.

	However, I know of two mail servers that I might trust, and
both of them (qmail and smap) come as source code.  I wouldn't trust
any MS product with security functions; what happens when it breaks?
SMB was broken for 3 months before it was fixed.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread