1996-06-02 - Come to think of it (was Something that just crossed my mind….

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: 2c707785825d844aa57c67798df60dbe09dc3a5757f7dad0f2f8d08758b49499
Message ID: <199606020734.DAA20016@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 17:51:32 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 17:51:32 +0800
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: Come to think of it (was Something that just crossed my mind....

On 30 May 96 at 22:35, snow wrote:

> 	In some of the discussion on this list there has been some concern
> about the governments position on anonymous fund transfers. Well, maybe
> concern is incorrect. We _know_ (or should) what it is. They are dead set
> against it.

Hm.

The more I think about it, the more that it seems foolish to be
against anonymous payee systems.  Mainly because those who want it
now (and who will want it in the future) and who have the resources
will already have it.

As for catching tax-evaders, criminals, etc... for most the five
BMWs, indoor heated pool and yacht should be enough attention for
those who really want to know.  Of course the gov't isn't that
interested in doing the legwork... better for them to have everything
on a computer for easy data-crunching rather than do real footwork.
(Can you say downsizing? Nah.... they'd put twice the savings into
useless gadgets like attack helicopters to patrol minority
neighborhoods with...)

Off the track, slightly:

It seems the effect that these laws have are to make it so only the
very wealthy and connected (or perhaps incredibly ambitious and
smart) have access to privacy and de facto loopholes in the law.
The only "criminals" who will be able to get away with anything are
those who are already so well off (and possibly buddy-buddy with the
Powers That Bee, Bzzt!).

[..]
> 	The discussion here seems to assume that business will accept, or
> even welcome the ability of it's customers to remain unknown, or nymknown.
> It is my position (until proven wrong--please) that larger business DON'T
> want anonymity. They _want_ to be able to track purchases and use of their
> product for several reasons.

Good point. But many consumers want anonymity, or at least to control
what information they give customers.  Many might even settle for
pseudo-anonymity (ie, account number 123456 likes to buy product X,
but whoever 123456 *is* is known only to 123456....).

[..]
> 	The questions that this raises are:
>
> 	1) Am I full of shit. This is very possible.

Everyone is at some time or another, unless you never eat.

[..]

--Mutant Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread