1996-06-23 - Re: Bad Signatures

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: geoff@commtouch.co.il (geoff)
Message Hash: 3066d4462914c1cc236ac94da9efe051b2a8621142d2fb9798ef9b0e112cd9f0
Message ID: <199606222240.RAA07977@homeport.org>
Reply To: <19960622151152974.AAB277@geoff>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-23 02:20:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 10:20:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 10:20:43 +0800
To: geoff@commtouch.co.il (geoff)
Subject: Re: Bad Signatures

geoff wrote:

| I am not convinced. For a mailing list it makes sense for all members
| to be aware of message integrity problems. Not all cypherpunks have

	Why?  I don't care that your message lacked a signature, I
neither know who you are, or have any history of interactions with
you.

| your lisp package or Pronto Secure which make signature verification of
| the 10-20 pgp signed messages per day on the list a non trivial task.

	I'll claim that anyone on the list who wants to check
signatures could do so, and that having a 'signature bot' which would
need to sign its opinions adds nothing to message security, except a
single point for comprimise.

| I also like the idea that cpunks provides as a byproduct a platform for
| developers to test and debug their security products. We really should

	I see; you're offering your web site for the complete
archives?

Adam
					               -Hume

Thread