1996-06-18 - Re: Remailer Operator Liability?

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 32ecf15bcaee1d90d137b78d87517feefd3af856abf1a49a032a64156c5e6138
Message ID: <199606171557.KAA03404@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <UllJ=kK00YUyI3Snos@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-18 00:39:38 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:39:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:39:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Remailer Operator Liability?

> (anyone know who came up with the term "email exploder" that the Court
> used instead of "mailing list"?)

The only time I've ever heard the term was in conjunction with the email
sent out by the Clinton campaign during the last election.

I probably misunderstood what was going on, but at the time I assumed that
it was a little different than a mail list.  My impression was that it
was for broadcasting rather than disucssing (ie., only the campaign could
use it), and that it was hierarchical in nature (mail goes to a dozen or a
hundred "exploders" who then send it out to a couple of hundred thousand
individuals).

Thread