1996-06-05 - Re: Security of PGP if Secret Key Available?

Header Data

From: David Rosoff <drosoff@arc.unm.edu>
To: “Robert A. Hayden” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 34b247f3c686ce29aad4365f42777d4a10fb133c0e8e01cba59b354ef5f5c9da
Message ID: <1.5.4.16.19960605000219.3a8734e2@arc.unm.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:07:01 +0800

Raw message

From: David Rosoff <drosoff@arc.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:07:01 +0800
To: "Robert A. Hayden" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Security of PGP if Secret Key Available?

Once your secret key has been compromised, then all that prevents a Bad Guy
from reading your message is your secret key passphrase. (I believe that,
aside from grabbing keystrokes a la TEMPEST, the only way to get this passphrase
is by brute-forcing it, or maybe searching your house for the little piece
of paper that you may have written it on.) I have seen equations which claim
to compute the security of your passphrase and also passphrase generators -
I don't know if either are any good, though.

David Rosoff (nihongo o chiisaku dekimasu)                  drosoff@arc.unm.edu
For PGP key 0xD37692F9, finger drosoff@acoma.arc.unm.edu or get from keyservers
pub  1024/D37692F9 1995/07/01 David Rosoff <drosoff@arc.unm.edu>
          Key fingerprint =  25 7D AA 01 85 41 43 89  50 5A 33 76 F1 F1 99 67
I accept anonymous mail. If I didn't sign it, you don't know I wrote it.
- ---
"Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will / To strive, to seek, to find--
and not to yield." ----- "Ulysses", by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Thread