1996-06-27 - Ga Law/No False Identity

Header Data

From: nowhere@alpha.c2.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3686497740b479f9586ea7004ddf4f823ffa5714b8b5dcad47311071e732bad5
Message ID: <199606271536.IAA07581@infinity.c2.org>
Raw Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 05:42:18 +0800

Raw message

From: nowhere@alpha.c2.org
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 05:42:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Ga Law/No False Identity

Mailing from Electronic Frontiers Georgia 6/27/96:
----------snip----------
:Subject: [EFG] GA law criminalizing Spam cancels??
----------snip----------
:Electronic Frontiers Georgia has engaged the law firm of Bondurant, Mixson,
:& Elmore (specifically Scott McClain) to look into a court challenge of
:HB1630 "The Internet Police Law" which goes into effect on July 1st.  We see
:this as an unecessary and badly framed law.
:
:This law would appear to make it a Georgia criminal act to remove spam &
:spews from newsgroups.  This is law OCGA 16-9-93.1
:
:Some information can be found at
:
:    http://ninja.techwood.org/~efg/
:
:under the "Day the sites went out in Georgia" section.
:
:My understanding, and the perception of spammers seems to be that in order
:to cancel a message, you must forge headers to become that person, thereby
:falsely identifying yourself.  This seems to be in direct violation of the law
:
:  It shall be unlawful for any person, ... to transmit any data
:  through a computer network ... if such data uses any individual
:  name, ... to falsely identify the person, ...
:
:  -- Robert Costner
:     Electronic Frontiers Georgia
:     rcostner@intergate.net

Spamming aside, this strikes at my privacy and choice of anonymity.

Thread