1996-06-25 - Re: info assembly line, “flits” (long)

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 492a9d0a072a67697f31a68cdfcea7fe8f2325f4991bb65f55e2b2a3de7eee80
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960624034918.283A-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <199606240027.RAA26443@netcom10.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-25 05:32:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:32:56 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:32:56 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: info assembly line, "flits" (long)

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> to move a pencil I only pick it up and set it down. to move a
> document through cyberspace,
> the process is infinitely more complex, requiring an
> immensity of thoughts and coordinated actions. when we create
> a system that matches the real-world difficulty, then we will
> be approaching the limit. we are very, very far from that limit
> even though we have climbed the ladder a long ways as you note.

	Think about catching a ball. Think about writing a program
convince a piece of hardware to catch a ball. Which is _more complex_
neither. Which is harder? writing the program.

	Back to your example: moving a pencil up and down is not nearly as
complex as "moving" a document through "cyberspace". Then again moving a
pencil up and down isn't nearly as comlex as moving a pencil from Finland
to Miami.

	Thing is, in the physcial world there is much complexity to what
we accomplish, it is just that we have already learned that complexity. It
is often less of a pain for me to ftp a file from a site half way around
the world that to dig thru the piles of paper to find the print out.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@crash.suba.com

Thread