1996-06-13 - Re: No Kidding

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4a1796e4dddb479cde88a402d86368a7f42bcf08898fc59a313ab118f373f237
Message ID: <199606121914.MAA09944@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:56:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:56:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  No Kidding

> The absence
> of governmental regulation of Internet content has unquestionably
> produced a kind of chaos, but as one of plaintiffs' experts put
> it with such resonance at the hearing:
>                What achieved success was the very
>                chaos that the Internet is.  The
>                strength of the Internet is that
>                chaos.[23]
>
> Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of
> our liberty depends upon the chaos and cacophony of the
> unfettered speech the First Amendment protects.

This is beautifully eloquent.  I hope it will be persuasive with the
Supreme Court.

Does anyone know which witness came up with the quote above?  Obviously
it resonated with the judges.

Hal

Thread