1996-06-29 - Re: Alternic.net (was domain zapping)

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: Bill Stewart <jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Message Hash: 6b1c87e8a076973500250d34d45b42b2542e6b43aca9c32041a8e1ebbb932fba
Message ID: <199606291758.KAA19598@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:20:15 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:20:15 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Subject: Re: Alternic.net (was domain zapping)

At 09:03 AM 6/28/96 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> If you don't do it carefully,
> you'll end up needing a bunch of Above-Top-Level nameservers that
> serve the names of the tens of thousands of top-level domains.

Five thousand top level domain names is quite manageable, no big problem
provided that their servers are reasonably stable -- and if the unstable
ones do not work well, big deal.

A hundred thousand would be a problem.

Assume a top level domain typically lasts forever, and a top level server
typically lasts ten years.  Assume two new top level domain names appear
each day, and that it typically takes a several of months of reliable service
to be added to the most generally accepted lists.  This does not seem to
constitute an intolerable burden to most domain name server administrators.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread