1996-06-04 - Re: Why PGP isn’t so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 82aee255148965ecea16b59ddcc25f6ab3aecf5a3a59a7c8824818b3caa595d3
Message ID: <add8fe620f021004583b@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:14:16 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:14:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why PGP isn't so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

At 9:59 PM 6/3/96, Deranged Mutant wrote:
>On  3 Jun 96 at 11:27, Bruce Baugh wrote:
>
>> Date:          Mon, 03 Jun 1996 11:27:33 -0700
>> At 04:33 AM 6/3/96 +0000, Deranged Mutant wrote:

>> does, it will happen only after the passage of more draconian anti-privacy
>> laws, and the guys working on it will be forced to include sundry backdoor
>> stuff or drop it altogether.
>
>More likely drop it altogether, or be openly admit they were forced
>to include GAK (people will want the source, anyway).

I can't imagine _any_ set of circumstances which would cause Zimmermann,
Atkins (?), Plumb (?), and anyone else who might still be on the PGP
development team to include GAK.

After all, those heartwarming stories about Burmese rebels using PGP to
communicate using laptops in the jungles would then be replaced by:

"16 April 1998, A.P., Rangoon, Burma. Internal Security Minister Bopalong
Myanmoon announced today that rebel communications were intercepted and
decrypted two weeks ago with the cooperation of the International Key
Authority. As a result of this raid, 63 rebels were captured, tried, and
executed. Visiting Rangoon at the time, U.S. Attorney General Louis Freeh
was said to be satisfied that international key escrow was having such
positive effects."

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!