1996-06-05 - Re: Why PGP isn’t so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Message Hash: 8411ab1e706c9b04b696338d224c74a3450ab30b631bc08b5057da667632cfc9
Message ID: <9606041912.AA01215@bill-the-cat.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <199606040228.WAA17430@unix.asb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-05 06:53:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:53:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:53:39 +0800
To: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Subject: Re: Why PGP isn't so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

> > I have a growing feeling that PGP 3 is never going to happen. Or that if it
>
> I'm soft-of having that feeling too.  Or what's going to happen is
> that enough people will get impatient and international versions will
> start to appear.

Unfortunately the 80-20 rule is hitting the PGP development team
really hard.  We had 80% of the code done about 6 months ago, and it's
been taking a LONG time to get the other 20% up to speed.  This is a
COMPLETE re-write of the whole system, from scratch, from the bottom
up (and top down).  It was NOT a small feat, and it takes time.  As it
is I feel rushed to get it out the door.

I know that I need to make the API document available, and I'm working
to do that.  But I have to offset the time I spend coding to the time
I spend working on the API document(s) to the time I spend jumping
through hoops to make the PGPlib project happen.  The more time I
spend working on one part, the longer it takes for the other parts to
happen.

So, would you rather see a document right away, or code released
sooner?  Take your pick and let me know. :)

-derek

Thread