1996-06-01 - “Anonymity is bad,” says a source who wishes to remain anonymous

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 932586f4b7a368447f643f20a1dc7ec894989425e43a567aa114ed88e4cad680
Message ID: <add4f6fa040210046ef3@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 14:08:46 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 14:08:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Anonymity is bad," says a source who wishes to remain anonymous

I'm not going to dig up the exact quote, but I was struck by a couple of
"comments" on crypto policy recently. One involved some crypto news of
several days ago, and one was reported yesterday in the "San Jose Mercury
News," in an early glimpse of what the NRC report would say.

In both cases--and these were not the first such cases I've seen--a source
"who wishes to remain anonymous" is announcing just how bad and dangerous
crypto, anonymity, remailers and stuff like that are.

"But the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, insisted that any
computer system that did not include a way for authorities to decipher data
would 'pose very costly and time-consuming problems' for law enforcement
officials."

[SJMN, C1, 1996-05-30]

""Anonymity is bad," says a source who wishes to remain anonymous."

The definition of irony, I'd say.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!