1996-06-27 - Re: Alternic.net (was domain zapping)

Header Data

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aa5972225ba7c939cb55251e2665874d1de0808fcbcb534edbb1412e29b508f4
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960626214217.00674520@vertexgroup.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:47:39 +0800

Raw message

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:47:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Alternic.net (was domain zapping)

At 01:39 PM 6/26/96 -0400, you wrote:

>An entity claiming to be William Knowles wrote:
>:
>: With all the talk about InterNIC zapping domains, there should be
>: some talk about other registries, Alternic.net : http://www.alternic.net
>: is offering an alpha test for registering new TLD's and the prices
>: are considerably less expensive than the Internic.
>:
>
>ALTERNIC.NIC is a couple of kids with a few Linux boxes.  It's rather amusing,
>but they did go through a lot of trouble to make it look good.  Sure,
>the new TLD's work if you use their name server.
>
>I thought about actually registering NSA.TEL and MCI.ATT with them for
>shits and giggles.  I love the TLD's they have ... BSA, XXX, CAT, DOG ...
>it was a good laugh, but it's way past April 1st.

Well, Karl's IETF draft is certainly serious. A Karl is a bit more than a
kid with a linux box having started one of the largest ISPs in Chicago and
being a component in the anti CIX fiasco.

I still fail to see why decentralizing control of namespace is a bad idea.

Thread