1996-06-21 - Re: Safemail

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: c075a7148c3f0ae6d578dc34cc3e35cdf5ca9d8b89498c0d1eb003e9848dd242
Message ID: <199606202137.RAA02239@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:43:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:43:06 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: Safemail

On 20 Jun 96 at 10:29, Adam Shostack wrote in cypherpunks@toad.com:

> Not to defend the safemail folks, but this does remind me of something
> that NeXT did with Eliptic curve based systems; there was no storage
> of the private key, it was generated from the passphrase at run time.
> It was a side discussion, maybe with Andrew Lorenstien?  Andrew?

> Daniel R. Oelke wrote:

The HKS archives are still down, but a while back on the coderpunks
list was an interestng idea about hashing a passphrase to seed a
crypto PRNG and used the first good set of primes etc. for a secret
and private key pair.  Only the private key is saved in such a case.

Rob
---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread