1996-06-08 - Wasting time and bandwidth on Bell

Header Data

From: “P.J. Ponder” <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c8ea448ebbc6890232790800b2d4af63ac72d9c5e2a15b8c39edb6ff83c0b865
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9606071348.A12943-0100000@wane3.scri.fsu.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:40:38 +0800

Raw message

From: "P.J. Ponder" <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:40:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Wasting time and bandwidth on Bell

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:29:56 -0400 (EDT), Declan McCullagh wrote:

>Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 6-Jun-96 Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
>by jim bell@pacifier.com
>> Not quite yet, anyway.  I'm very disappointed to have waited over a
>>year for
>> some slick lawyer to show me how I'd be violating some law or another
>>to do so
>A few observations:

>1. Not many readers of cypherpunks are lawyers

I've noticed quite a few, actually.  I don't know how many are regular
readers but there seems to be enough to maintain a steady undercurrent of
legal thinking on the issues associated with digital commerce, some
anonymity and First Amendment issues, a sprinkling of criminal law topics,
and of course, banking, intellectual property, SEC, antitrust, general
contract, and related commercial law.

>2. Of the laywers who do read cypherpunks, many may not choose to spend
>their time researching what laws AP may violate. Or they're not "slick"
>lawyers; take your pick.

Or they automatically delete any posts that come from or relate to the
puerile bullshit Bell is infamous for, and choose not to get dragged into
this type of time- and bandwidth- wasting garbage.  Of which this post is
just another, of course, but i get so damn sick and tired of the constant
imposition of 'AP' and related nonsense on this list.  Of late, the
trolls seems to be particularly effective among people who should know
better, and an aura of credence or relevance has developed around some of
this crap.  Can't we just ignore it, and move on?  Maybe if we ignore him
he'll go away.

>3. Congress would have no problems passing a law outlawing AP, if one
>does not exist already.
>
>-Declan

I would be satisfied if they just outlawed e-mail about it.

Thread