1996-06-05 - Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Header Data

From: Bruce Baugh <bruce@aracnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d2fc4cedbcf33e9e20cca377fa39ba3e8f47db1f8fe0163fc9ae6898c079686b
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960605054113.006e2b2c@mail.aracnet.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:55:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Baugh <bruce@aracnet.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:55:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

At 12:30 PM 6/4/96 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>My question for member of this list is:  When Bell finally
>goes too far and they arrest or shoot him, how can we best
>capitalize on his martyrdom?  Or in a more negative light,
>what damage control will we need to do in that case?

I think there's a non-trivial chance that this list could be shut down and
anyone who's made interested sounds in the idea brought in to assist the
police in their inquiries.

Damage control will probably be a doomed cause. The media will end up with
selected quotes advocating crypto-anarchy and speaking in a disparaging tone
of those heroic men and women who keep nuts like us reined in, and the only
people who will hear a balanced account will be those who are already wholly
or partially immune to the propaganda mills.

Did I mention I've been feeling pessimistic about a bunch of this stuff lately?

--
Bruce Baugh
bruce@aracnet.com

Thread