1996-06-16 - Re: Fuseable Links - no guarantees??

Header Data

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
To: Warren <wxfield@shore.net>
Message Hash: e581f81a8c02dd60bac8fa29b7bb04ec1a1ca3994dbe63dc6a5fb290a9a9ab67
Message ID: <31C3343D.2F1CF0FB@systemics.com>
Reply To: <v02140701ade8a5dbd914@[204.167.110.204]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-16 02:10:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:10:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:10:11 +0800
To: Warren <wxfield@shore.net>
Subject: Re: Fuseable Links - no guarantees??

Warren wrote:

> Jim;
>
>         I was under the impression that a fuseable link was literally a
> piece of conductive material that you deliberatley 'blow-away' - In most
> cases, couldn't you simply 'tap into' the data side of the fuse, and
> download the info??
>
> >At 11:44 PM 6/14/96 -0400, Warren wrote:
> >>I have never paid much attention to the protection of firmware or the
> >>technical issues revolving around such schemes...was wondering:
> >>
> >>I recently saw an add for a UK based group that says they can take a PIC
> >>OTP micro and read the prom (for a fee, of course) - How the heck is this
> >>done?? I have my suspicion that they (somehow) magically peel off the
> >>ceramic coating (without destroying the chewy center), get a circuit mask
> >>and 'micro probe' the I/O of the IC...they then download the secret recipe
> >>to the afore mentioned 'chewy center'.

Rumour has it that it is done like this:

"To read a protected 16C84 make sure your VPP is 13.5 volts, then VCC should
be about .5 volt less, I dont know about the accuracy of this one person
told me he used a diode thet is .6 volts. now write the value 0x001f to the
fuse 0x2007 about 3-10 times switch back to standard and read the chip. "

It may or may not work - I would be interested if anyone can confirm it.

Gary
--
pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06

Thread