1996-06-15 - Re: PBS show

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@MIT.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e9f64f1a89045153498dde52f893783746cee2fc56913f8f1485447b4fdd19dc
Message ID: <9606141444.AA13836@rpcp.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:07:31 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:07:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PBS show

At 10:31 AM 6/13/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>The comments about the floppies (" VERY SMALL capacity floppies (which were
>very slow as well") is even more off-base. In fact, it was probably Apple's
>ability to put _any_ kind of floppies on the Apple II, for a reasonable
>price, that ensured its success.

        Just commenting on the niceness of the existence of floppies, I
remember when I got a floppy for the C-64 I was floored. I'd been dumping my
code to audio tape (record it once, change the volume a little, record it
again, change the treble a little, etc. about 3 times to be sure it was on
the tape) for years! Even the c-64's slow drives were FAST in comparison to
sitting by the tape recorder listening for a break in screechy noise to hear
me say "pong 3" or something. <grin> I could store 10 tapes worth of stuff
on a floppy nearly instaneaously, and access it randomly! And once I got the
little cartridge (mach 5) which blanked the screen during floppy access (one
of the major reasons, among other things, the c-64 was so slow) it was like
lightening... <smile>
Regards,            The lust for comfort murders the passions
                    of the soul. -Kahlil Gibran
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread