1996-06-03 - penet to be compromised again? More Scientology lawsuit crap

Header Data

From: “Deana Holmes” <mirele@xmission.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eaa385d90a6d3ff80e204181558812ca92a21c9cb70d006d744f2a78c4cf5e94
Message ID: <199606022055.OAA17534@xmission.xmission.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:23:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deana Holmes" <mirele@xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:23:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: penet to be compromised again? More Scientology lawsuit crap

I just received some information on IRC channel #scientology that
Julf Helsinghuis is being sued by $cientology *yet again* for a name.

Apparently this has to do with the deposition request to Homer Wilson
Smith (lightlink.com).  Scamizdat #3 was posted through lightlink.com
and the $cientologists have wanted for a long time to figure out who
did it.  (Which is why they sued Grady Ward.)  Homer, in response to
the deposition request, consulted his logs, and said that the
original post came from penet.fi.  So $cientology has apparently gone
to the Finns again to ask that Julf be forced to give up the name.

I'm appending a copy of the IRC log, as I'm too lazy to edit it down
to particulars.  It includes the name of the police officer involved
(Kaj Malmberg) as well as a Finnish newsgroup and article id for the
whole story.  If someone knows Finnish and can give a rough
translation, it would be terribly appreciated by a lot of people.

<enclosed IRC transcript>

<Ignatius> hi guys... do you have the latest news on Julf
   Helsingius' case?
> Ig: what do you mean, latest news?
<Sherilyn> The julf case?
* Sherilyn didn;t know there _was_ a julf case...
<Ignatius> ok... copyright offences are crimes under Finnish
   law, not torts.
<Ignatius> Kaj Malmberg, the Finnish police officer who handles
   the investigation of the copyrighted material through
   penet.fi, posted an article to a domestic newsgroup today.
<Sherilyn> Do you have the message-id and group name?
<Ignatius> the scienos have filed a motion at a local court in
   Helsinki to force Julf Helsingius to give out the name of
   the poster.
<Ignatius> sherilyn, are you good at Finnish?
<Sherilyn> ig: lol!
<skaplin> Who posted what through penet??
<Ignatius> the hearing is scheduled for the beginning of next
   week... perhaps already tomorrow.
<Sherilyn> So was penet the server before lightlink in the
   scamizdat case?
<Sherilyn> Homer gave them the name of the prior server, or was
   going to
*** skaplin changes topic to "Penet under attack...Again!"
<Sherilyn> Well this needs to be put out loud on groups where
   people use penet
<skaplin> Ignatus: How good are you at translating?
<Sherilyn> Last attack on penet got the scientologists a very
   bad rep
> Ig: We need that post.
> IN ENGLISH
> ASAP!
> even if it's a lousy translation.
<Sherilyn> This cop guy speaks English
<Sherilyn> Didn't he post in English to a.r.s.?
> Sheri: he may not want to post it on a.r.s
<Sherilyn> It's true, skap
<Ignatius> i don't know more than what I already mentioned. The
   police officer didn't even mention Scientology; he just
   mentioned that he was investigating a copyright offence.
<Sherilyn> She would make a lovely domina
> sheri: you should see what I'm reading now :)
<skaplin> We're sure penet is under attack for a name though...
<Sherilyn> Bloody hell fire!
<Sherilyn> I have 6440 posts downloading!
<Ignatius> i'm writing an article to post to the ng:s, but it's
   obvious we don't have all the bits of the puzzle yet.
<skaplin> Want some kippers with your spam sheri?? :)
<skaplin> Ignatus: What newsgroup was it in?
> ig: please post it asap.
> also, send it to rnewman@cybercom.net.
<Ignatius> skap, sfnet.keskustelu.laki; <4os5bu$flp@idefix.eunet.fi>
<Ignatius> the police officer, Kaj Malmberg, is at
   kaj.malmberg@helsinki.poliisi.fi

<end of transcript>

Deana Holmes
mirele@xmission.com