1996-06-17 - How to find out if the list is down? [ADMINISTRIVIA]

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Scott Schryvers <schryver@radiks.net>
Message Hash: f5eed353e02bab6d28153de7a399fe38492185696edb1c01511cbdc49e07b82b
Message ID: <199606170519.WAA12239@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:03:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:03:10 +0800
To: Scott Schryvers <schryver@radiks.net>
Subject: How to find out if the list is down? [ADMINISTRIVIA]

>Subject: Is the list down?

No (and the delay between your posting and my reply
is just because I've been too busy to read it all.)
In general, if the list isn't reaching you, it's occasionally because
mail is stuck between toad.com and your machine, occasionally because
the list is stuck, and occasionally because you've been dropped.

If you send mail to majordomo@toad.com saying
        who cypherpunks
it will send you a list of everyone on the list, possibly including you.
(If it doesn't include you, then you know what's wrong.)
If mail's working, it usually answers pretty fast.
If mail's jammed, sometimes this kicks it off, and sometimes it stalls,
just like a posting you sent to the entire 1200+ list members would (:-).

And sometimes there's something more subtle going on, in which case you
can send mail to cypherpunks-owner@toad.com and/or owner-cypherpunks@toad.com.

Of course, it could be that nobody's posted anything to the list
in the last 24 hours, which probably means that Hugh's implemented
the Signal-to-Noise-Improver Bot and nothing made it past the filters.....

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs
#				Dispel Authority!