1996-06-16 - Re: pretty good reputation

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: f951dc3ed60903063596146054b6870e809ee13c44f3f629fe7f974fdfe120bd
Message ID: <199606160331.XAA12152@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:52:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:52:39 +0800
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re:  pretty good reputation

On 15 Jun 96 at 13:09, Hal wrote:
[..]
> There was considerable discussion in the design of PGP's key signatures
> on this issue, and Phil decided against trying to let people express
> publicly how much they trust others.  Among other things, he was afraid
> that people would feel compelled to lie for social reasons, leading to
> inaccurate trust estimates and weak key validations.

Good point.

Any system with multi-valued or yes/no signatures becomes
unresolvable in a web, making these values useless beyond an order or
one or two levels.

We've argued about this before on the list...

Another interesting point, though: feature creep.  Something like
that may be another intimidating factor that turns people off from
PGP.

Rob

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread